I don’t do Christmas letters, but I do like to wrap up my year all nice and tidy on my blog. Web site. Whatever we’re calling it. Before I had a blog I would always go back to the front of my calendar and relive the events of the past 12 months. But now I can do it so much flashier!
2009 will go down as one of the best years I’ve yet lived. It wasn’t too fast, it wasn’t too slow, it feels like it was exactly the pace a year is supposed to be. We’ve enjoyed four actual seasons, distinguishable from one another with generous tap lapses between one climate/weather and the next. You know, because I’m such a crier, I get a little misty thinking about bidding this year farewell and I wonder if 2010 can live up to the bar that has been set so high.
Here’s a look at some of the highlights from our year. First in pictures, surrounded by the people, places and even things that fill our lives with such immeasurable joy.
And now, the list. The things I’ll most remember 2009 for.
1. Ringing in the new year with some of our dearest family/friends, at a nerd-themed party.
1b. (because I’m not renumbering this list!) Watching Obama being sworn in as president.
2. Eating oysters for the first time in Dallas with the Woolards. And not dying.
3. Spending an entire week with the Koskies in OKC, while dodging Flu Armageddon ‘09
4. Attending my sister’s sonogram to learn she was having a little girl!
5. Buying a Snuggie. And wearing it in public.
6. Attending SXSW in Austin (my first trip) with some of best guys I know. Not to mention eating lobster tacos and sipping mojitos on a roof-top under the sun.
7. Going vegetarian for an entire week. Not one piece of meat. And trying tofu.
8. We moved (and will likely do so again this spring). Sigh.
9. The Brooks wedding.
10. The Morehead/Bauer wedding.
11. Witnessed the founding of Snikl.com.
12. Invited to have dinner with Jillian Michaels. Had to try sushi for the first time. Didn’t die.
13. Start taking birth control pills, officially begin the IVF process.
14. Shelton got a fantastic new job, ending seven months of unemployment!!
15. Spent a weekend in Baltimore and Annapolis visiting Koskies, being woke up each morning by my nephew.
16. Attended my 10 year high school reunion and loved it!
17. Skipped Shelton’s 10 year high school reunion because he said we wouldn’t love it.
18. Welcomed miss Charlie Jane Morehead! My 18th cousin or something.
19. Spent 4th of July in Omaha/Cedar Creek with the Moreheads and made the best of the dreariest July EVER!
20. Shelton’s MESA surgery.
21. Started Lupron and thus began 68 consecutive days of fertility drug shots.
22. Said goodbye to Anna Cesario, who never hesitated to tell cancer where it could go!
23. Welcomed my niece Eleanor “Ellie” Sue Marie Felker!
24. Did our egg retrieval, and got 17 eggs.
25. Waited “patiently” for four days and then transferred are only two viable embryos.
26. Waited “even more patiently” for 11 days and then took a pregnancy test and found out that we were finally, FINALLY pregnant!!!
27. Waited “really super patiently” for two more weeks, then did a sonogram to learn that one little baby was occupying my womb!!!
28. Released from our amazing fertility clinic to join the ranks of normal OB/pregnancy treatment. But, we know we’re not normal!
29. The best camping trip in a very long time! Morning sickness and all. Thank God someone brought BBQ potato chips.
30. Rocked the best Halloween costumes EVER as the Twitter bird and Fail Whale .. with the Moreheads.
31. Felt the baby moved… and she has yet to let up!
32. Took our Babymoon to Boca Raton. Swam in the Atlantic for the first time. Sailed on a catamaran. Spent an entire day on the beach doing nothing.
33. Found out she’s a she baby!
34. Celebrated our little’s 13th birthday with Hibachi!
35. At midnight we’ll celebrate nine years together.